Everything you need to know about glaucoma surgery
Glaucoma is a disease in the eye that damages the eye optic nerve. This disease, for a prolonged period of time, can cause permanent vision loss and blindness. At an early stage, this disease has no symptoms and vision stays normal. But without treatment, people with glaucoma loses their side vision. They aren’t able to see the object at the corner of their eye. Their vision will be like as if they are looking from a tunnel, and if this disease remains untreated their straight-head (central) vision decreases until there is no vision or complete blindness.
Glaucoma surgery Delhi
There are many eye treatment center in India and mostly in Delhi which provides with the best glaucoma surgery or treatment.
For the glaucoma eye disease, laser surgery is the first option by the doctor. The various types of laser surgery to treat these diseases are listed below:
- Argon Laser Trabeculoplasty (ALT): This laser treatment opens clogs in your eye so that the fluid can drain out.
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT): If the above treatment does not work, the doctor usually then try this treatment. A highly targeted low-level laser is beamed at the spot where there is pressure.
- Laser Peripheral Iridotomy (LPI): The LPI laser treatment uses a laser beam to create a tiny hole in the iris so that the extra fluid can drain out and release pressure.
- Cyclophotocoagulation: If all the other laser treatments or surgeries do not work then this treatment is used. In this treatment, a laser is beamed into a structure inside the eye to ease the pressure.
Vital points before the surgery
Few important things you should know before starting the Glaucoma surgery Delhi:
- The goal of the treatment: The main goal of the treatment is to lower the eye pressure. This can be done through medication, laser or surgery.
- Treatment option for glaucoma: There are three treatment options available for treating the glaucoma disease. The first one is through medication, second is laser treatment, and the third and final one is surgery.
- The side effect of to treatment and how to minimize it: All these treatments have some side effects. It is important to discuss these side effects with the doctor and take necessary precautions before beginning the treatment.
The risks and side effects of a glaucoma surgery
Every surgery has some side effects, so before starting any surgery it is very important to know them so that special care is provided to avoid major risk.
- Bleeding: In any of the glaucoma surgery, there is a high risk of bleeding inside the eye. So it is very important to discuss this complication with the ophthalmologist before taking up the surgery or treatment.
- Infection: Usually antibiotics are given to the patient before, during and after any of glaucoma surgery or treatment, to avoid any infection. But there are some chances that infection inside the eye may occur, which later on can become very serious and affect vision.
- Cataracts: These can develop as a side-effect of the treatment. Cataracts can be easily treated with surgery. Consultation with an eye treatment center in India is very necessary before the starting of the glaucoma treatment.